Zoya Spring 2013 Collection – Lovely (and Lovelier)

Disclosure: Products in tis post were provided by the manufacturer, their PR firm or retailer for my review.

If you know me, then you know I wore the exact same pastel pink polish year-round for ten straight years (no lie). So every Spring, I suffer a slight relapse and swear off black and red for good. There’s just something so clean and fresh about Spring colors. Plus, let’s face it…they’re lower maintenance – they don’t have to be perfectly applied to look great and tip wear isn’t a huge deal. That may be the root of my attraction. In any event, prepare to hear me gush over theses polishes. I can’t help myself. As a matter of fact, I took each lovely polish and made it even lovelier with a hand-dipped polka dot design in Zoya Purity. This little embellishment seemed to make sense!

Zoya Spring 2012 Lovely Collection

Zoya describes the Lovely Collection as “six soft and lovely […] shades including three dewy metallics and three fresh bloom creams. Poetic in nature, this collection is sure to capture the beauty of the season like no other.” Five of the six shades were previously released as part of limited edition trios for fashion designers Zang Toi and Peter Som during NYFW – so some of these polishes will look familiar. Let’s start with the creams.

Neely

Neely is an “earliest spring green cream.” It was originally released for Peter Som S/S 2013. Neely seems very fresh and minty to me. It was opaque in two coats. I’m not a green fan, but I may be now. It’s an easy green to wear like a neutral from Spring through the Summer.

Zoya Neely (work / play / polish)

And here’s the polka dot version. I placed each dot using a dotting tool and Zoya Purity, a great, smooth, solid white. I think the dots give the base color context. Sometimes when I swatch an entire line at once, it’s easy to lose my reference point. To me, the white contrast helps…plus I actually really love the dots on these springy colors!.

Zoya Neely with Zoya Purity (work / play / polish)

Blu

The second cream is Blu. To my knowledge, this color has never been released before. Blu is a safe, full coverage, clean, smooth blue. Zoya calls it a “lucky hyacinth blue cream”. I see it as a staple base for nail art and a definite finalist for my cruise baggage! I love the simplicity.

Zoya Blu (work / play / polish)

And here are the dots. Again, I think the dots make this great polish look better. I love this combo!

Zoya Blu with Zoya Purity (work / play / polish)

Jacqueline

And the last cream is Jacqueline. Originally designed for Peter Som S/S 2013, Zoya describes it as a full coverage “perfect magnolia nude cream”. I have to be honest here and admit that as a former art student…I didn’t know that Magnolia referred to a neutral or warm white. After some googling…Zoya’s description is dead on. Without doing a side-by-side, I don’t know how to distinguish Jacqueline and Zoya Farah. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Zoya Jacqueline (work / play / polish)

And again…the dots make everything fabulous!

Zoya Jacqueline with Zoya Purity (work / play / polish)

Piaf

Next we have the metallic shimmers. Piaf is a fresh “forsythia yellow metallic”. This full-coverage polish was orignially designd for Zang Toi S/S 2013.  I’m not a big fan of yellow polish. It’s a skin tone thing – I think it looks a touch green on me. But I can think of a dozen people off the top of my head that would look stunning in this polish! The slight shimmer in this shade is unique.

Zoya Piaf (work / play / polish)

Now for the Purity dots. The dots make it more playful. Even though it’s yellow, the dots do have me suckered in.

Zoya Piaf with Zoy Purity

GeiGei

And here’s GeiGei, what Zoya calls a “blushing cherry blossom pink metallic”. On some skin tones (like mine) this color offers a mannequin-hand-ish look, with a soft metallic finish. In theory, I love everything about this polish…but it’s not my favorite out of the bunch like I predicted. But still very pretty.

Zoya GeiGei (work / play / polish)

And, of course, adding free-hand dots in Purity forces GeiGei to have a little more fun!

Zoya GeiGei with Zoya Purity (work / play / polish)

Julie

Now Julie is the underdog polish of this collection that turned out to be my FAVORITE. It’s a “soft wisteria purple metallic”.  This full coverage color was originally designed for Zang Toi S/S 2013. Definitely work-worthy…which is amazing for a purple! I love Julie’s tone, coverage and delicate shimmer…plainly and simply pretty.  So I have a confession to make. I have a small drawer in the kitchen for oh-no-I-don’t-have-any-polish-on mornings when I’m racing out the door for the office at 6 am. (Yes, I MUST wear polish. It’s not a snooty thing…it’s a stainage thing.) So anyway, this drawer contains polish that can be worn any day, any time. It’s full coverage, complements my skin tone, matches my boring suits and won’t cause a distraction in a meeting. The polishes in this drawer are beige, beiger, beige-ish and pink-beige. I think Julie just earned a spot in this drawer. Folks, this is huge; perhaps the greatest compliment work / play / polish could bestow on a non-nude polish!

Zoya Julie (work / play / polish)

And here’s the dotted version. Love this!!

Zoya Julie with Zoya Purity (work / play / polish)

I didn’t own any of these colors previously, so I was glad to see them rereleased in a Collection. It’s amazing how coherent all six look together considering most were custom designed for two different designers.

All of Zoya’s polishes are Big5FREE. The Lovely Collection will be sold for $8(US) and shipping 1 January 2013. Follow the Zoya Nail Polish and Treatments Blog and stay tuned on Twitter (@Zoyanailpolish) and Facebook for release date updates.

Disclosure: Products in this post were provided by the manufacturer, their PR firm or retailer for my review. For more information, please see my disclosure policy.

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Zoya Comparison: Jacqueline, Cho, and Farah « Erin's Enamel | December 28, 2012
  1. Martha S. says:

Love the dots!! They really do make the colors pop.

2. gorgeous swatches and nails! Loving the polka dot nails with each polish, that must’ve taken a long time :)

3. Cindi says:

At first when I saw the swatches I was like, meh, whatever. But after seeing them with the dots, well they perked right up and now I have my eye on several. I really don’t have anything in my stash that is similar as these are all so plae and pastelly looking.

4. coco says:

Julie is gorgeous: sweet, subtle but not plain, love it, really ! and all your dotted manis are perfect!

5. craftynail says:

Beautiful and so springy!

6. Sara says:

I NEED Julie and Neely!

7. sortaginger says:

I love the Blu. I have been without a true baby blue with good coverage for awhile now. And I hear you on the staining!

8. Shoppingshon says:

Zoya is one of my favorite brands, Piaf and GeiGei look spectacular after Dot arrived! The Dots made the polish pop & I loved it.

9. sugarmitten says:

Great swatches. Julie is my favorite too. Surprisingly I can’t think of a purple in my collection that is like this one.

10. your polka dots are so perfect :O

argh i wish i could easily get zoya in my country! i’m still trying to get my paws on the ornate collection -__-

11. beachgal says:

I agree..the white dots do really perk this collection up. I cannot wear yellows and I so want to find a yellow I can wear that I like. There is no way ever I could pull off Blu – instant lobster hands. Love Julie – that is the one I would order if I end up putting in a Zoya order, Julie will go in it. I have Purity from buying the Zoya Guilty set so I will sure be trying it for dots. I had not worn Purity yet but did notice it was not optic white which is nice – it has a bit of creamy to it. Oh and I do think of magnolia as being a bit of buff shade. I grew up with huge magnolia trees in our yard and we floated the flowers in bowls of water in the house. Love your last min. going out kitchen drawer with polishes in it! That never would work in my cottage of a house..I have 2 (count ‘em) 2 only drawers in my kitchen! Oddly I never get staining on my nails. I swear by my base coat that keeps the staining down (Orly Nail Armor – it’s one of those combo ridge fillers/base coats that has a light beige tint). And I think the difference to my eye between Farrah and Jacqueline is Farrah has a tish more taupe to it and Jacqueline is more yellow. Your swatches of this collection are beautiful…I think it makes me almost like this collection more than the first few photos I have seen of it prior to this.

12. Knocked it out of the park with this one! I’d never think to do the same nail art with each color, but this is true perfection!!! And they are all stunning with dots :D

13. well.. i think jacqueline is my favorite one of this collection.. these are like normal spring colors, but the polka dots were a great idea.. i like the soft blue one but i didn’t like the name of the polish, blu in italian means navy blue, i guess it doesn’t make sense to me this name.. doesn’t it happen to you? you just start to dislike one shade of polish, just because of the name?

14. Meghan says:

Love these swatches and this collection as a whole. I’m also a former art school student and I didn’t know that about magnolia either!

15. Kirsten says:

Gorgeous! Wish Zoya liked me but the formula and me don’t mix :(

16. The white dots are absolutely brilliant!

17. marisaporter says:

I ADORE that buttercream color! I’ve been looking for a color like that. It makes me hungry for buttercream cake with yellow frosting.

18. I am NOT a pastel person, but I found myself pinning every single one of these! All going to the head of my want list.

19. christin says:

i really like neely. any thoughts on how i compares to butter london bossy boots?

20. Amazing post! I really like Neely, and I’m not even a fan of green polish!

I’m going to America tomorrow, can you perhaps give me some advice/name a few of your favorite polishes? I’m hoping to pick up polishes there. :)

21. polisherself says:

I really like this collection and the purple one especially. The dots definitely create a good reference!

22. Danisha says:

What a sweet collection I love it!

23. judit1661 says:

Reblogged this on Middle Aged Beauty Queen and commented:
    This is a great post showing all the Zoya Spring 2013 polish, swatched beautifully.

24. Alex says:

Lovely swatches! The dots make me think of Easter eggs. :)

Farah is much browner/tauper and cooler toned than Jacqueline, which is very yellow toned by comparison.

25. Alex says:

This blog post has a comparison between Cho, Farah, and Jacqueline. :) http://www.hautelacquer.com/2012/12/zoya-lovely-spring-2013-collection_24.html

26. Great pics, how do you get your dots to be so perfect. Please share.

Blu looks perfect, I might go and get that one!

28. Maribeth says:

I loved every singe one of these (quite an accomplishment for me!). I was utterly amazed by how well Blu applied…no streaking?! These all look fantabulous on you- even Piaf ;) The white polka dots=perfection for spring!

29. tmvikholt says:

Wow, you definitely have some practice “dotting”! They are perfect. Mine still aren’t that even or evenly spaced :P

30. Mel says:

Wow nice! Julie is my fav xx

Tags: , , , ,