Mani Cave Lighting: Is it weird to install a spotlight for your polish?

I haven’t posted an update on The Mani Cave lately. Mostly because I spend every free moment on the blog! I have some super exciting things in the works for WPP very soon! Anyway, the hubby and I finally installed the lighting I purchased for the room way back in February. It’s been piled in the corner…looking ominous. Sorry…this post will be pic heavy. I love how it turned out!! I’ll start with an after shot.

The Mani Cave Lighting Update (work / play / polish)

And here’s the before – it’s the dreaded home builder spec light. Gasp.

The Mani Cave Lighting Update (work / play / polish)

I’m going with a navy, pink and white color scheme. The wainscoting is STILL unfinished. I’ve decided to do a built-in shelving/desk combo on the far wall and so some of the wainscoting will have to come down. I’ll finish it after the unit is up (which at this rate will be 2020). For the main lighting, I considered doing a chandelier – because it’s pretty and feminine and makes sense in a Woman Cave. But a chandelier wouldn’t put out good light and I wanted to mix up traditional (navy and wainscoting) with contemporary. I chose a few components from the IKEA Sanda line and two ginormous LUNTA pendants. The pendants will hang over a nearly 4 x 6 foot chunky rectangle table that I’m painting pink!! This room will also be the “craft room” and the table will give me lots of space to work. So here’s what I bought:

The Mani Cave Lighting Update (work / play / polish)

Um…overwhelmed is an understatement. That’s probably why this project languished. If you know IKEA, then you know there are no text instructions, just pictures. Boggles my mind. Fortunately, that meant Serafina could help (since she can’t read English anyway).

The Mani Cave Lighting Update (work / play / polish)

Now is when I start to panic. The hubs is completely calm…even though we he had to cut apart the pendants to adapt them for the track. Check out our drill hole template with the painter’s tape. It was a hot mess, but it worked! Thank goodness I’m married to a handy man!

The Mani Cave Lighting Update (work / play / polish)

Once you figure out how it all works, it’s pretty amazing! I attached two spotlights in addition to the pendant lamps. One spotlight is directed at my polish wall (Is that weird? Do I need help?) Speaking of the polish wall, I’m going to add three more rows to the top next weekend. I have Summer Collections coming! Must make room! The other spotlight is directed at the corner of the opposite wall – where I’ll put my China Glaze racks.

The Mani Cave Lighting Update (work / play / polish)

I’m so motivated now to get working on it. I don’t want to finish it all at once though. The DIY decorating is as much fun as nail polish…well…almost!

1. Marion says:

Love it!

2. I love it! What a great idea :) I have a cat that looks just like yours lol

3. Latha says:

This turned out great! I can picture what you are going.for. It will be great.finished! Yay for such a great start!

4. greyeyedgrrl says:

Looks fab! Only question… is there going to be a Serafina spot in the mani cave?

5. blimbo2005 says:

omg ur polish room is amazing!

6. Cindi says:

I love the way the room is turning out. I’d spotlight the polish racks too, I mean you have to be able to see what you are picking out right?

7. Julie says:

I’m trying to figure out where I can put polish racks in my very small house, but my son is like “no mom” so I’m living vicariously through you at the moment. :)

8. Meg says:

It’s soooo beauuutifullll…. The picture of all the lamp bits on the floor made me want to cry – Ikea terrifies me.

9. vtfroggie says:

This is absolutely amazing! I love the color scheme and the spotlighted polish wall. I’d love to see photos once the entire project is complete!

10. Looking great! Once you have task lights for anything — nail polish, sewing, crafts — you’ll wonder how you lived without them.

Keep posting pics. We can’t get enough Mani Cave!!

11. Ginny says:

You did an awesome job lighting up the room. Love all your polishes.

12. Our cats always like to “help” with our projects too. :)

13. I LOVE that you spotlight your polish! This makes me love you all the more and further solidifies my need for an appointment with you and your Mani Cave.

14. Neelie says:

I think it’s awesome you shine a spotlight on your polishes. That wall is like a piece of art, of course it deserves a spotlight! Though, I’m wondering whether there is any substance to suggestions of storing polishes in the dark?

15. Essie Rae says:

OMG! I only see this in my dreams!….and I on your blog I guess:)

16. Amelia says:

I really love this! I’ve had many attempts at storing my nail varnish and this is so pretty! :)

17. Patrice Wassmann says:

This is the most awesome room ever! I love the spotlight on the polish racks, they look so pretty!

18. shivani says:

hey! i just want to say i stumbled across this website when i was looking at storage ideas and so this idea brought me to love this site and as i do enjoy the other posts this will still be the main attraction to me so please could you update? or has the series ended? thanks :D

Tags: , ,