The Lacquer Legion: ADORATION…A tribute to my amazing daughter

press samples

Yay! It’s month two of The Lacquer Legion! I’ve looked forward to today so much! What a fun, no pressure way to do nail art, am I right? This month’s prompt is ADORATION (#LLadoration). At first glance my mani seems a little crazy. Do I adore stripes and dots? (Well, I DO like them, but “adore” is a strong word.) There’s actually a reason behind this madness. My inspiration? My adoration? It’s my daughter. I don’t discuss a lot of personal stuff on the blog…but I’ll give you a little glimpse today. I call her Adda. It’s been a nickname from birth. It was partly inspired by Princess Atta from A Bug’s Life, her first favorite movie, and partly conceived by a cousin (she was three when Adda was born) who called her “Adda Adda”.

The Lacquer Legion Nail Art (Feb 2014) #LLadoration

Now my Adda is super special. I know every mother says that…LOL..but in this case, I can guarantee it’s true! First, she’s my one and only child. But more importantly, she’s the smartest, kindest, funniest, most talented 13-year-old I know! She’s runs track, plays a mean violin, tells hilarious jokes, paints like a master and has never gotten below a 98% on a school project…EVER (we were robbed on the 98, by the way!) She wears a uniform to school everyday and the only item that’s not regulated is socks. And so my free-spirited Adda sports the most ridiculous socks she can find. It’s not unusual to see her plaid-skirted self sporting a caped Batman knee-high on one leg and a caped Robin on the other. Or socks dotted with Star Wars Storm Trooper heads shaped like skulls and cross bones. Or Doctor Who 4th Doctor stripes or neon cats with mis-matched zippers. I LOVE that she knows what she loves and goes for it. I adore that she’s brave and confident enough to be herself.  At just 13, she’s my hero…and I aspire to be just as carefree and self-assured as she is!

The Lacquer Legion Nail Art (Feb 2014) #LLadorationFor this mani, I pulled out five pairs of Adda’s crazy socks. I contemplated doing a superhero theme, but I didn’t want you guys to take one look and conclude that I adore Ironman and Captain America (haha)…and then not read the back story. Instead I chose some semi-coordinating patterns and recreated the looks using striping tape, dotting tools and an art brush. I posted an early work-in-progress pic on instagram last week (here). Here are the polishes I used for each nail:

• PINKY: China Glaze Pelican Gray (gray base), China Glaze Creative Fantasy (purple), OPI If You Moust You Moust (pink), Zoya Arizona (orange), OPI Keeping Suzi at Bay (blue), Zoya Darcy (yellow), OPI Green-wich Village (green), Essie She’s Pampered (red)
  • RINGER: Zoya Evvie (gray base), Color Club Wicker Park (light purple), Essie She’s Pampered (red), Zoya Pinta (dark purple)
  • MIDDLE: Zoya Evvie (gray base), OPI Alpine Snow (white, under each dot), China Glaze Sun-Kissed (neon yellow), China Glaze For Audrey (teal)
  • POINTER: China Glaze Pelican Gray (gray base), Zoya Snow White (white), OPI If You Moust You Moust (pink), Zoya Evvie (dark gray), Zoya Trixie (silver)
  • THUMB: China Glaze Pelican Gray (light gray), Zoya Evvie (dark gray), Essie She’s Pampered (red)

I’m so busy with my career and this blog that I worry that Adda doesn’t realize just how amazing and important she is to me. I hope she likes it. This mani was a lot of fun, but it took some patience. I can’t wait to see how you all interpreted this month’s theme! Don’t forget to use the hashtage #LLadoration so everyone can marvel at your masterpiece!

More on The Lacquer Legion: The Lacquer Legion, conceived by Sarah of Chalkboard Nails (work/play/polishThe Nailasaurus, and Rebecca Likes Nails are admins), will release a new nail art prompt every month. Join the fun by posting your mani on the designated day using the assigned hashtag. There’s no commitment…participate as much or as little as you’d like. Get involved in the community and show your stuff! Everyone is welcome! Follow The Lacquer Legion on Facebook for upcoming prompts and info.

20120106-lacquer-legion-1

Disclosure: Most products used in this post were previously provided by their respective manufacturers, PR firms or etailers for my consideration. For more information, please see my disclosure policy.

1. Wow that was a lot of work. It’s also a lot to look at. I bet your baby girl loves it. If I wore it my grown son would ask if I was having ‘one of those days’ LOL.

• I loved this post so much I had to come look again lol. Your daughter has such a fun whimsical spirit…I love that…I also love her socks. They are amazing. I had to wear a uniform to school as well but we weren’t allowed the liberty of wearing anything but red, white or blue socks. =/

BTW, what did you use to make the big dots on your pinky?? They are so perfectly round.

#LLadoration

2. Lisa N. says:

These are so fun! I just love how each nail is different!

3. Viktoria says:

Your mani is wonderful, but your text – even more so. It is touching to the point of tears. Your daughter is very happy to have such a loving mom.

4. danielle says:

I love this tribute to your daughter. Mine is 9 going on 10 and can’t wait till she starts hitting that age where she is trying to figure out who she is.

5. Marissa says:

I LOVE your nails, your mani and this post. Your daughter sounds amazing and reminds me of how wonderful I hope my own one-&-only turns out at that age (she’s 5). Too much awesome here!!!!

6. penny says:

As impressive as your mani is i actually am more impressed with the awesome things you said about your daughter!!! You must be a wonderful mother to have such an amazing daughter!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

I would so rock the caped socks if i was thirteen and the zipper is my favorite:)

7. So good, it’s just so good!

8. What a sweet, endearing post! I love it and I love your ode to your spunky, free-spirited daughter!

9. Jay says:

That’s not a decal is it on the index finger? Because damn, that’s amazing. Talent! Such a fantastic mani!!! and p.s. where does she find those socks?!?!?

10. Jess Scull says:

omg this is insanely awesome

11. Peggie says:

Awww, that story brought tears to my eyes!! Your daughter sounds like an amazing young lady!! I love your mani, it looks PERFECT, as always!! Thank you for sharing your story!!

12. Sarah says:

I would love to see Addas Dr Who socks one day ^^

13. It is so eclectic. I love the combination of colors and ideas.

14. Love the story! You little girl sounds like an amazing young woman! And your mani is so stinkin’ cute and perfect! Love it!

15. LaraLeaf says:

Great tribute. A terrific mani! My favorite is the ring finger!

16. Jenni says:

I love that your inspiration is your daughter! My daughter is 8, and I feel the same way about her that you feel about yours. Your post and pics made me smile. :)

17. Your daughter sounds amazing! Well accomplished and I really admire her free spirit and confidence… I was horribly self-conscious as a teenager… I’m better now but I’m still really really shy and I think I worry way too much about what other people think of me… but I just can’t help it/stop myself from doing it :( I’m surprised her school doesn’t regulate socks! I went to a private school with uniform and EVERYTHING was regulated! no makeup or nail polish either! I think that’s why after I graduated I quickly became obsessed with nail polish! It was something I had always loved but was deprived of before… now i always have my nails painted… just because I can! ;)

18. linalinux says:

This is a beautiful post, you nails (as I already said on IG) always looks too good to be true, like a perfect computer animated picture. :D
    And, your daughter really sounds like an amazing girl, good job! :)

19. Anne says:

Very cool mani and I love the story behind it!

20. Anutka says:

This is such a fantastic adoration manicure! Beautiful back story and your love and adoration for your daughter shows through in every word! Your attention to detail is impeccable as always! Beautifully done!

21. The Jedi Wife says:

This is such a sweet inspiration, and I live that she wear fun and crazy socks to show off her personality! I’m a crazy sock girl myself! <3

22. Kelly R says:

This is completely gorgeous! I love all your nail art.

23. Go Mom Meghan!
    And you wondered why you didn’t have time for the challenge? LOL
    Motherhood takes up lots of time, especially the worrying & transport services. <3

What a cute story and ditto mani! Your girl rocks (her socks, lol!)

25. Awww, love the story on this mani..it turned out very beautiful!

26. I LOVE these nails! All the different designs come together perfectly :)

27. Emilly says:

what can I say about your mani??? wowwww!!!
    it’s more than perfect. i love it!!

28. WOW! I know that every mother thinks her child is amazing. And children are amazing, aren’t they? It was lovely reading about your whimsical, confident, adorable daughter. I’m sure she is as proud of you as you are of her. Oh! And great manicure by the way :)

29. These are amazing — I love the crazy mix of patterns! The backstory makes it even better :)

30. I love how talented you are and I really liked this entry!! And her socks, she seems so confident.. It also means that you’re great mum!

Tags: , , , , , , ,