The Lacquer Legion: Weird Science…Staphylococcus aureus

press sample

Hey all! It’s Lacquer Legion day and I’m getting this post up under the wire. The theme is Weird Science and boy did I struggle! And guess what? The theme was MY idea! (I obviously didn’t think this through ahead of time. LOL) Anyway, I was trolling for ideas and suddenly was inspired by microscopic images. As soon as I saw Staphylococcus aureus bacteria, I had visions of nail art! (Quite likely the first time in the history of the world that’s happened!)

Lacquer Legion Weird Science

Staphylococcus aureus bacteria is frequently found in the human respiratory tract and on the skin. The presence of this bad boy doesn’t always equal infection, however it can lead to some serious issues…such as the dreaded MSRA, which is a methicillin (antibiotic) resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) pic below is magnified 20,000 times under a scanning electron micrograph. Who knew something so bad could be so pretty? I love a green/purple color combo…and I realize this is sounding completely ridiculous! [image source]

Lacquer Legion Weird Science

My orbs aren’t quite the right color. It’s difficult to shade something so teeny. I used acrylic paint to make them stand out from the base which I create with several Zoya polishes: Hunter, Rikki, Giovanna, Raven and a dash of Mitzi.

Lacquer Legion Weird Science

I’ve seen such creative ideas today for this prompt! I try to look at every single Lacquer Legion mani on the interwebs. Make sure to use the #LLWeirdScience hashtag so we can find you. Check out the Lacquer Legion Facebook where we’ll feature some of our faves.

20120106-lacquer-legion-1

More on The Lacquer Legion: The Lacquer Legion, conceived by Sarah of Chalkboard Nails (work/play/polishThe Nailasaurus, and Rebecca Likes Nails are admins), releases a new nail art prompt every month. Join the fun by posting your mani on the designated day using the assigned hashtag. There’s no commitment…participate as much or as little as you’d like. Get involved in the community and show your stuff! Everyone is welcome! Follow The Lacquer Legion on Facebook for upcoming prompts and info.

Disclosure: Products used in this post were provided by Zoya for my consideration. All opinions are my own. For more information, please see my disclosure policy.

1. Lisa N. says:

These are so cool! Very nice.

2. Deb Merris says:

Very creative and it turned out to be a pretty mani :)

3. Anabel Kay says:

Honestly they look kind of like flowers from far away, but when you look closer you can definitely see the difference… it’s awesome!! Love the color combos and addition of glitter really makes it rock too.

4. Caroline says:

it is a really pretty manicure but at first glance it reminded me of gemstones (would have also fit the theme i guess). It’s a fun topic but I do understand that one can get overwhelmed by the possibilities!

5. Peggie H says:

That’s actually quite beautiful ❤

6. Hi Leslie
    I love this mani. Even if the inspiration is not the best thing we’d wish to see/have, the mani is absolutely perfect!
    Such a great colour combo.
    I’m very glad I’m being able to participate every month and every time you comment on my pictures on Instagram I feel so special! :-D
    Thank you for the attention and care.
    Have a great day dear!

7. Emily Ricotta says:

I’m a microbiologist, so I love this theme and I love your mani. I used to work with staph in the lab! I’m weird and think that bacteria can be cute (giantmicrobes.com does too…) and your color combo is fantastic, so I think you totally nailed this!

O.o that might be the creepiest, coolest nail art ever!

9. Delphi Michaels says:

Isn’t it weird what can inspire us? I was once asked to create a website for a doctor who specialized in infectious diseases. I was at a complete loss about how I could customize the web design to fit his specialty until he showed me some pictures of slides of the diseases he worked with. The slides had been treated with some kind of dye for magnification purposes. The pictures were just beautiful and I suddenly had my inspiration! Your mani is really gorgeous!

10. KD says:

Not the first time I’ve seen micro-organisms as nail art, love the color combo! Astonishing that something so small and innocuous looking could be that dangerous.

Tags: , , ,